Monday, April 11, 2011

Money! Money! Money! Money!

Monayyyyyyy!


That sweet green paper... or really that sweet piece of plastic.  Funny how it binds us to this filthy earth, and funny how its our sweet escape.  At least, I'm speaking for myself, here.   

Retail therapy... ahh who needs drugs when you can swipe that sucker at the blink of an eye and get the same affects physically, mentally, and financially... okay, and spiritually. It becomes an addiction, and me, well... I've been addicted.  If its not food, its shopping.  And if its not shopping, its food.  And really, I can think of a million different excuses as to why I shop till I drop.

But really, I know what I truly need, and it ain't that new maxi dress at Old Navy  (which btw, I returned).  

Its gotten so bad, that I've prayed and prayed for God to intervene during my shopping trips, and when He did, I ignored it... put those items at the register counter, and swiped that card with a smile on my face.  No sooner, did I find myself in complete tears, knowing exactly what I did, and didn't need to do.  I knew for a fact, God was convicting my heart... and??

We had even attended community group at church which was solely based on finances and tithing.  Yeah, I loveeeee to give!  But do those whom I give, really need it?  Do they need that extra glass miniature sitting on their already dust book shelf? Prob not, but the satisfaction of me buying something, and someone else claiming the prize while leaving my hands clean of dirty sounded pretty darn good.  Not to mention... I really do like to give.  I'm a giver at heart.

It wasn't until one service at church that struck a chord in me.  God whispered to me... "its time."  But this time, there was no ignoring it. It really was time, and He wasn't going to take "no" for an answer, and really, He didn't have to.  He was right... it was time.  My heart was ready.  I won't lie though, the devil attacked and filled my mind with questions like, "what about paying for Aislynn's school?" What about this, and what about that?   

Just as the devil was about to take victory, I looked inside of my purse, and there was my checkbook (something I rarely carry with me).  I quickly took it out, and wrote a check for exactly 10% of our weekly income.  

Up!  Once again, God moved me... in the direction of the pastor.  As I stood before him, tears filled my eyes, and honesty graced my lips.  "This has been really really hard for us... REALLY hard.  We just can't seem to part with 10%, but today was different... Today God touched my heart..."  And there I was, handing the pastor 10%...  a 10% I could have used to buy that maxi dress, some oober cute sandals, and a fashion smashion handbag with fab sunglasses.  


Today, here we are... bills on top of bills... as as new homeowners (without a single clue), extra added bills on top of bills.  Bills exceeding income.  Last weekend, I had planned on not tithing the complete 10%, but instead picking back up in July.  This was dead set in my mind. Dead set. 

Up! There He goes again... He guided my heart, and there I went... 10% gone in an instant, and with no pain or conflict on my end.  He repeatedly nudged me during service that Sunday... the worship songs, the sermon.  

Here we are in April, and to be honest, I don't even recall how many 10% checks we've tithed. But there has yet to be a break in the pattern... its 10% every single week without fail.  Its like that 10% was never even there, and no, not because we make oodles of money to where we don't notice. HA! I wish. lol  But it has never crippled us.  

Although, this week was hard, and I do mean hard financially, He showed up at the last minute... you know, like Superman... He saved the day.  He provided.  Just as He promised He would. 

 
(ps. My church isn't the kind to ask for money every time you turn around... in fact, they never ask for money, and when they do, its rare... very rare.)



Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?
-- Matthew 6:25 





Faith and Love,
Casey

1 comment:

Maria said...

"One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty."

enough said :)

He will make sure that you are taken care of!

But yes, I too have a shopping problem that I am trying to overcome :/

Post a Comment

AddThis