Monday, April 25, 2011

Its not about me.


Ahhh so many birthday's coming up!! Goodness, its like July is THE time to have a baby! Or at least it was last century.

Speaking of birthdays... okay, its a celebration, but a celebration of what exactly?  I think these days, we all try to "live it up", and "go all out" for our birthdays, and when plans don't go accordingly, we're upset.  I'm not one to plan parties... except for Aislynn, of course, but for myself, not so much.  This year I got together with my friends, and since my parents were unable to attend, I dined with my sweet God-parents.  Afterwards, we hit up a karaoke bar, and then from there, went to the club.  I dressed in my favorite shirt, some leggings, and a sweater. YEP!  That's me.  You won't find me in a party dress... probably ever.  Dresses just aren't my thing.  I won't lie though... I did searched high and low for a matching Hello Kitty hair accessory.  

It wasn't until this year that I realized what I was really trying to celebrate in the past.  The commercial idea of my birthday.  On one hand, the glitz and the glam.  And on the other, the dreaded "year older".  The me, having to face gray hair in just... well, I don't even want to think that far.  It was me celebrating, yet mourning my youth.

Either way is selfish.  

What really should be celebrated on our glorious debut to this world is Him.  Thank you Lord, for another day! Thank you, Lord for another week... another month, and so on and so forth.  Thank you, Lord, for another year!  Another chance to get it right.  To grow up, and to grow wise.  

I mean look at Noah for example.  How old was he when the Lord decided to use him?  How old was he when him and his sons finally finished the ark?  So why do we mourn our youth, when we have so so much to look forward to in our upcoming age?


So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, yes, of course its all gravy to go all out, but when things don't go right, don't get upset about it, but instead praise Him, anyway!  Not to mention... don't fret the occasion... what kind of message are you sending to your Creator?  That another year on this earth isn't good enough?  That your non-planned party is more important? Celebrate, anyway!!  Go all out in PRAISE!


25th Birthday - January 2011





"This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." --Psalm 118:24




 
Faith and Love, 
Casey

2 comments:

aybabygucci04 said...

Heck yeah ! That's What I always Say! For my birthday every year I buy a bouquet of flowers for my mom because If It wasnt for her and her love for me and her hard labor I would not be alive ... I thank her for giving me life... and her response always is ... No Hija Gracias a Dios .. meaning No my daughter give thanks to God and I do... Turning 25 this year is scary yet happy ... Thanks to God I am able to brag about all the blessings he has given me ... all the wonderful experience I have endure with each day each breath he gives me ;D! Like you said its not about us its about him ;D

Asheley T. said...

Hey there little lady! Found you on facebook and I follow you here now too. NC stalks TX.

I totally empathize with trying to celebrate the commercial, or maybe the past, idea of what the whole birthday thing is. Mike and I used to do what we affectionately called "A Month of Birthday" where we celebrated for exactly two weeks before and two weeks after the date of our births...a total of four weeks. And I milked it for what it was worth, let me tell you! For those days, if it was my birthday, for example, I got to choose where we went for dinner if we went out, what movie we watched, etc. I sort of made that up because I felt like people deserve to be special for more than one day.

As I have grown up, I kinda miss "A Month of Birthday" celebrations because they were really fun. But more importantly, if we only feel special for one day every now and then, WE ARE DOING IT WRONG!!! Jesus made us in His image, and there is something special about that EVERY SINGLE DAY. So while we may play up the birthdays around here (though now, the celebrations are geared mostly toward the younger members of the household, lol) we also play up each member of our family every day, as much as we can. Some days we aren't as great at it as other days, but aren't we blessed to have a loving and graceful God to show us how to improve on this each day... ~Asheley

Post a Comment

AddThis