Saturday, January 14, 2012

Better Than a Hallelujah

Today, was unplanned.  Yesterday was unseen.  Tomorrow, is not definite.

I experienced something this afternoon that in my years of experiencing... is never the same experience.  Its always hard, and it always sends a jolt to your heart and to the spirit you thought was once strong, but having experiencing death in any stage of life always brings a different perspective.

There comes a time in everybody's life when we say, "Goodbye."  Whether we know when or how soon, it happens, and it happens quickly.  We are but dust in the wind, and just like that, life has happened to us, and that instance, we greet the eternal life we have waiting for us.

My dear sweet uncle's brother passed away, this week.  It was sudden and quick.  A heart attack no one was expecting.

As I accompanied the day of sorrow, I suddenly remembered what it's like to be in their shoes.  Where your heart stings with a passion of absence and your soul cries for just one last, "Goodbye." Tears stream down your face, and all you can think is, "What will tomorrow be like?  What will next week be like?  Next year?"  The future has come without warning, and the past has left without a proper exiting.  The avenue you've always known as everyday, has now taken a detour into another tomorrow.  The world spins to the hours ahead, yet your heart is in the standstill of yesterday.  You're currently in this moment in time where nothing seems right, yet even in the sorrow, everything is beautiful and blessed.

The sun was bright and merry, dancing on the tree tops. The wind was smooth and cool on my skin.  The laughter from my little one was refreshing, and the tears from others was a reminder;  a reminder that this is life, and tomorrow is never guaranteed.

I stood there amongst family and friends, and although I didn't personally know my uncle's brother, I do know that I am a sister, I am an aunt, a cousin, a niece, a best friend, a daughter, and a wife, and above all else, I am human.  The hurt the family felt today, I can't even begin to imagine.  But imagine I did, and suddenly all that I felt hurting inside of me prior to arriving at the funeral, took a backseat and joined the choir of unimportance, while a new perspective hopped in the front seat, and took its place.


Cherish others.  Cherish yourself.  Cherish your memories. 
And most importantly, cherish love.
Without it, life isn't living, but with it, life is an eternal battleground of victory.  Love never dies, but lives on forever; in our hearts, in our minds, and in our spirits and souls.  Its something that can never be taken away, nor ever replaced.  Love is the greatest gift given to us.  
So, love it with all your heart.


In the love of the Lord, death has lost its sting.  In the mess of life, a beautiful story ends.
Better than a hallelujah. 




To my uncle and his family. 
Thank you for having me be apart of this day.  It was truly a blessing to be surrounded by such wonderful people who felt a love so strong.  I pray God wraps His loving arms around you, tonight, and whispers in your ear, "I am with You."  May He bring you comfort and peace in this time of sorrow, and may you continue to love each other the way you've shown, today.  May God bless you all, deeply and richly, and may you never forget the precious memories that you hold so dear in your hearts.





Faith & Love, 
Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis