Saturday, March 19, 2011

An angel?

 
Sometimes, things play out perfectly, and then you meet someone, and often wonder, "If things played out so perfectly for you to meet them, could they possibly be an angel?"
 Tonight's blog was supposed to be about my moving day jitters, but instead its about a 13 year old boy who just happened to show up at my drive way at 11:30pm, seconds before Jr and I went to unlock our front door to our very new house for the very first time. 

About an hour before, we had just came from dinner with the family. I won't lie, I drove like a bat outta you know where to get to that house, unlock that lock box, and unlock the new chapter in our life.  On the way, I had my worship music blaring with windows down singing at the top of my lungs. I was def in my happy place, and all I could think was how much this house has been a blessing, and we haven't even moved in yet.  
I pulled up to the drive way, and my husband along side of me (I met him after work). We both stood outside of the house, and glanced up the 2 story building and then back at each other, like.... is this for real?  And then moments later, a boy showed up asking to use our cell phone.  Hesitant? um yes.  But then I looked down at his shoes, and he was wearing big chunky sandals, and I immediately thought to myself I can chase after him should he decide to bolt with my phone... and then I thought again... ehhh, I can't stand that phone anyway. And then I thought... what the heck?? I have a husband, who used to run cross country in high school and bolted up and down the basketball court.  Okay, yeah, sure... you can use our phone. But I'm watching youuuuuuuu! Mmhmmm.

He made some phone calls, and I could tell he was embarrassed, scared, hurt, and just completely lost. 
He finally told us what was going on, and that basically he just got back from juvi, and his mother wanted nothing to do with him. (she was bunking at her boyfriend's house down the street)
He then asked if we could drive him over to so and so street and drop him off.  After much hesitation on Jr's part, he said yes.  We drove, and I sat in the back seat as he and Jr talked.  Jr told him he used to be a detention officer, and he's met all kinds of kids with all kinds of problems, and so on and so forth. 
After their conversation, the boy made some more calls, and finally his last call was to his mother... I couldn't make out what she was saying, but I could see it written all over his face. Hurt. I can't think of any other word... My heart cried for him, as he said and repeated, "Don't worry mom. You don't ever have to worry about me coming home... Don't worry." His head buried in his hand.
He got out of the car and grabbed his stuff.  I slipped him a $20 and a daily devotional card I picked up at the Christian Book Store.  It noted that whatever problem he was facing, God was bigger than it... to look to Him, and He will be his comfort.  The boy looked at me, and said, "oh. wow. for real."  I wanted to throw my arms around him, and tell him it was going to be okay.  I told him, "Take care of yourself."  He nodded, and walked away. 

I got in the car, and all the excitement about the house was no where to be found.  Instead, my heart and soul were aching.  Why? Why is this 13 year old boy out on the streets?  Why was he in juvi in the first place? Supposedly he had a temper problem, but yet his grandmother pleaded her heart to get him back out of there.  His younger siblings weren't even living with his mother, but instead with their grandmother.  And then Jr mentioned, "This is how kids start walking down the wrong road.. the wrong path in life... It all starts at home.  I've heard the same story..."
I wanted to march right over there to that boyfriend's house, and give that lady a piece of my mind. WHYYYY???   Do you know how BLESSED you are to have 3 beautiful children???  WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU??? And even then... if things were wrong with her son, he's 13 for crying out loud. 13!! Its not like he's 20+ out on the streets doped up on meth, and you're enabling him by bringing him back into your home. This kid is 13! Thirteen! 1-3!

It all just made me think... the ugliness in this world.  Its so clear.... so clear that HE is what we need.  There's no other option or alternative. He is the answer. The way, the truth, and the LIFE. 
I can't help but to think he was put in our path for a reason.  Aislynn went to her cousin's house for the night, and we were the last to leave the restaurant after getting caught up in conversation with Jr's uncle. And then Jr having a detention officer background. Last week's sermon at church about relationships with people... people we know and don't know.  About judging, and being prejudice.  This week my mom purchasing me a book about angels. And then just yesterday, me wondering when I was going to be able to pass out one of those devotional cards I had safely tucked in my wallet.  It truly makes me wonder if this kid was an angel, and was sent by God on a mission. 

I hope and pray he is alright, and I hope and pray I see him again...
What do YOU think?

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it. -- Hebrews 13:2

Faith and love, 
Casey

3 comments:

Maria said...

Casey,

I breaks my heart to hear this. But, unfortunately there are so many parents like this. I am in tears praying that he is okay. This is a tough story to swallow. God def has a mission for you girl and you are doing an amazing job at filling it. :D
In a time where it may seem like you want to do SO much more. Just pray for him and God will handle the rest. Congrats on the house love and God bless you and your honey!

Connie Leon said...

An Angel indeed! Wow. What a story.... I can't help but think of this 13 year old boy now... as Santiago grows I pray that as a parent I will make the right choices to lead him down a path to HIM... and that as a child he is receptive to my guidance...because there are families and children who have difficulties... I want my son to be there for children like the 13 yr old boy who crossed your path..on this new journey..it's a Blessing... Love you.

aybabygucci04 said...

wow casey... this truly touched my heart... you were at the right place at the right time... that boy needed you guys so much that night... could you imagine if he would had bumped into somebody else... there's so many possibilites... God knows exactly what he is doing.. where he puts us and what he wants us to do... we have to continue is this world we call life with a humbled heart and open eyes...

Post a Comment

AddThis